Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake
This Chocolate Oreo Ice Cream Cake took some extra effort and some special supplies, but it was SO worth it! Just as good as any store bought (and expensive!) specialty version, and free of dairy, eggs, and nuts!
Some of my favorite recipes come from books, and that was true of some of the components of this recipe. Since they came from books, I cannot duplicate them here, but I will point you to the book for the recipe, OR you can use one of the multitude of recipes available online for vegan and/or allergen friendly versions. Check your local library for the books as well.
I have tried many brownie recipes and even some vegan and allergen friendly boxed versions, and these in my opinion are the best. So delicious and yummy! We add extra chocolate chips for even more yumminess. The recipe came from here:
Welcoming Kitchen, Kim Lutz
Second, there are a couple options for ice cream. First, you can buy an allergen friendly container in the store of the flavor of your choice. Or, you make your own. I have an ice cream maker so it is fairly easy for us to do. Find a recipe online, such as this one: Chocolate Ice Cream, or check out the following recipe from this book which uses canned coconut milk as the base (we turned this into Oreo Ice Cream, instructions are below):
Lick It!, Cathy Olson
15 Oreo Cookies, Cookies separated from the cream filling
1 Batch of Brownies (Plain chocolate, or add chocolate chips...It takes about 2/3 of a 8x8 pan of brownies for the cake)
1 Chocolate Oreo Pie Crust (available in store)
1 Batch of Ice Cream of your choice
1. First, separate about 15 Oreo cookies. Put the cookies inside a plastic bag, and roll them into crumbs with a rolling pin. Set aside. Take the cream filling and set aside.
2. Prepare brownies. When they have cooled for about 30 minutes, scoop them out and gently mash them into the Oreo Pie Crust. Fill the Pie Crust about halfway.
3. Cool the brownies in the pie crust completely. I put it in the fridge overnight.
4. Prepare your ice cream. We made chocolate Oreo ice cream and it was delicious! You can also use some of the specialty Oreos such as mint Oreos to slightly alter the flavor. Here's how we created the ice cream.
*Using an ice cream maker, prepare the chocolate ice cream. About 10 minutes before the ice cream is ready, take the Oreo cream fillings (only around 5 are necessary, but more if you prefer!) and place them in the ice cream maker. They will separate and mix in, flavoring the ice cream with Oreo deliciousness!
5. When ice cream is complete, scoop into the Oreo pie crust, filling it to the top.
6. Top it off with a layer of the mashed Oreo cookie crumbs.
7. Freeze overnight.
8. Thaw 20 minutes prior to eating and enjoy!