Chocolate Sunbutter Cups
Alicia Silverstone made this vegan recipe famous and it is posted all over the web. But, it contains both tree nuts and peanut butter, so I've adapted it for our allergy needs.
Here is the original:
This recipe is not for the faint of heart, it contains somewhere in the range of 20 grams of fat per serving. But, they are delicious!
The original recipe called for 12 servings in a muffin pan. These treats are so rich though, I think we do everyone a favor when we break them down into 24 smaller servings, or perhaps use a couple mini muffin trays for bite-size snacks.
1/2 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread (1 stick)
3/4 cup Sunbutter, natural/crunchy/unsweetened
3/4 cup Graham Cracker Crumbs (or more, if you want it crunchier)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
1/4 milk substitute (I used Coconut)
handful of sunflower seed kernels
- Line your muffin tray(s) with paper liners.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium. Stir in Sunbutter and sugar. Once mostly melted, stir in graham cracker crumbs. Remove from heat, divide evenly among your muffin cups.
- Combine chocolate chips and milk in a saucepan. Stir over medium heat until chocolate has melted. Spoon evenly over Sunbutter mixture into the muffin cups.
- Top with sunflower seed kernels.
- Refrigerate until set, around 2 hours.