Frosting is really tricky! I've tried several recipes and most vegan ones seem to just be so sweet because the powdered sugar overwhelms everything. After lots of effort, this is the best one so far.
- Vegan Butter, 1 stick (or 1/2 cup from the tub)
- Vegan Shortening, 1/2 cup
- Powdered Sugar, up to 2 cups (sifted)
- Salt ¼ teaspoon
Chocolate Frosting add:
- Cocoa (1/4 cup), only if making chocolate frosting
Vanilla Frosting add:
- Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoons (or more depending on preference)
Cookies and Cream:
- You can reduce the powdered sugar a bit and instead scrape the insides of about 10 Oreos into the mix and beat with a hand mixer.
- Crush the outsides of the cookies. Stir into the frosting.
Mint Cookies and Cream:
- Follow the instructions above for Cookies and Cream but instead use mint Oreos. Also add about a teaspoon of Peppermint Extract.
- Soften the vegan butter and cream with the shortening using a hand mixer on low speed.
- Add Powdered Sugar in about 1/2 cup increments until it reaches desired consistency and taste.
- Add additional items depending on which flavor you are making.