Tomato Vegetable Soup
This is not a traditional tomato soup, it is more of a vegetable soup with a broth that only slightly tastes of tomato. If you are making baby food, a cup or two would probably be excellent pureed.
Makes 16 cups
2 tbsp oil (I use Canola)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 12oz bag frozen carrot/onion/celery mix
1 12oz bag frozen mixed veggies or vegetable soup mix
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
4 cubes vegetable bouillon
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
1 10oz package chopped ham
1 zucchini, chopped
4-6 frozen spinach cubes
4 frozen sweet potato or butternut squash cubes
1 can of navy or great northern beans
1 can corn
1 cup uncooked pasta
Salt to taste
1. In a large pot, warm the oil and saute the garlic.
2. Add in all frozen veggies and cook for around five minutes.
3. Mix the tomato sauce, broth, water, vegetable bouillon, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, parsley, sugar, salt, pepper, and hot red pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Stir in the ham, zucchini, spinach, sweet potato or butternut squash cubes, beans, and corn.
5. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover, and continue to simmer 15 minutes.
6. Stir pasta into the pot, and continue cooking 10 minutes, or until pasta is al dente.
7. Salt to taste.