Gumbo (with any type or no meat)
I started with the recipe:
We made a bunch of changes though, so I've revised it. We changed the meats, removed the mushrooms, added vegetables and broth, and doubled the spices. You can serve this over rice, or to add another vegetable to the mix, serve over a mixture of rice and spaghetti squash "pasta" noodles.
We used leftover turkey from Christmas, but this meal is hearty enough for any meat, or to go meatless.
1/4 cup oil (we actually used 1/4 cup Smart Balance and enough oil to thin it out)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 12oz bag frozen onion/green pepper/red pepper mix
1 lb baby carrots, sliced thinly
2 celery stalks, sliced thinly
5 cloves garlic
1lb smoked sausage
1 cup chicken broth
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers with liquid
1 can red kidney beans
2 tablespoons parsley
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 dashes hot sauce
2 cups cooked chicken/turkey
1 can corn
1. Heat oil and butter. Stir constantly with flour to create a paste.
2. Saute onions, peppers, carrots, celery, and garlic for about 10 minutes.
3. Add smoked sausage and saute another 5 minutes.
4. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, and all spices and seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Add chicken/turkey and corn and heat through, about 5-10 minutes.