I personally never bought a beet until this summer when I made a (failed) attempt at making beet chips. But, I heard that cookies were another way of eating beets so I thought I’d give it a try. Beets don’t seem that appetizing to me, but cookies do!
I didn’t find these cookies to be “knock your socks off” delicious, but they are certainly a worthwhile cookie. I don’t know about your kids, but as long as it’s a cookie they don’t care what’s in it or even what it tastes like, they just know they are getting a treat. So why not add a little beet to your cookies? It seems to me, much like pumpkin or applesauce, the beet is substituting for the egg.
If you’ve never cooked beets, I looked online and there’s basically two ways:
1. Peel them raw (a little difficult), cut, and steam until soft (don’t use the water to puree, use fresh water instead).
2. Set oven to 350. Cut off stems, leaving a little attached to the beet. Wash, then put in baking dish with a little olive oil and salt. Cook for 50+ minutes, until toothpick comes out easy & clean. Cooking time will depend on the size. Mine cooked for nearly 80 minutes. Let cool, then peel (it sort of peels like a blanched tomato or peach would, but not quite as easy).
Then, you’ll want to puree them using your method of choice. I chose cooking method #2 above and used a food processor to puree. I needed to add a couple tablespoons of water to get a puree.
Then, I followed this recipe:
with the following changes:
1. I doubled the recipe, and used Enjoy Life chocolate chips in place of the chocolate chip rosting she used.
2. Also, I found the batter way too dry to make cookies. I ended up adding around 2 tablespoons of water to the batter. Whether or not you need to do this will probably depend on how much water you used to make the puree.
3. I also used half whole wheat flour and half regular flour. I find whenever I use whole wheat flour in a cookie recipe it does change the taste into a bit. You can just taste the flour a little more. But, it doesn’t bother anyone and it seems to make them a bit better for you so that’s why I do it.
Good luck! If you try them let me know what you think!